CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Make your Own Yoga Wrap Pants!

These pants are the perfect solution for hot summer days. The slit sides allow for a cool breeze while still giving you plenty of coverage. Also for practicing yoga in a comfortable and fashionable way. For a long time I thought I couldn’t make myself a pair of pants. My friend from Israel had a pair back ini high school and I was never able to visually break them down and make them. Plus I have never sewed something I can actually wear out of the house. Now that I’ve worked out how to make these, I never want to take mine off! Here is what I worked out.

What you need:

Fabric: Since I'm a tall girl (5'10') I need to use 2 1/2 yards of fabric but 2 yards can work too. Excellent fabrics are Linen and cotton, also a 50% Rayon and 50% polyester blend will work but it is a little stretchy and the hemming can get away from you. Be sure to check to see if the fabric is see through... don't want to be giving everything away.

Sewing Supplies: I have an Eazy Stitcher from Michael's (39$) it's not very technical just simple sewing since I'm not a seamstress. If you have the time you can always hand sew but a cheep machine is worth the time. Sissors, Needle, Matching thread, iron.

Step 1
You’ll want two rectangles of fabric. I have found the look and hang I like by using the Length and width formulas in the photo below using my measurements as examples. I suggest going bigger than you think you’ll need the first time you try it. It’s really easy to make a larger hem or trim it down once it’s together if they’re too big.

wrappants

Place outsides together and fold the rectangles length wise together so that the sides of the pants are all together and the top and bottom of the pants are at opposite ends.

Step 2
Cut out the crotch area. You’re going to cut a shape like a half of a U along the center fold. If you want an exact shape you can borrow a piece from a pants pattern and follow that line. Otherwise you should be able to wing it. Take a look at the curve on a regular pair of pants if you’re unsure. The deeper you cut from the top of the pants in this step, the higher you waistline will be. I like mine to sit at my hips as a low ride pant style so I made my cuts 2 inches (4 inches when the pants are unfolded) wide and about 12 inches from the top of the pant. This measurement doesn’t have to be precise, the design of the pant is very simple!

When you unfold the rectangles you’ll see your U, Make a curved seam along this U. This is the only curved seam you’ll have to worry about! Make sure it's a strong stitch. Since I have a little machine I just go over it twice, but since these are flowy loose pants there is not going to be to much stress on the seams.

Step 3
Now you’ve got a giant pair of pants! Open up both sides of the the U you just sewed and you will see the form of the pants.

It’s time to hem all the rough edges. Use your iron to press your hems well before you begin to sew! A good press will make it remarkably easier to get good straight lines for your hems. I usually do the sides first, then the bottom hem, hem all of the lengths of fabric that don’t have the crotch seam in them.

Step 4
Make your Ties. I just use the same fabric and if you check back with the photo above I explain how to do that. Be sure that all ties are the same length which ever length you want.

Step 5
Again since my machine is pitiful I can't fold to much fabric and sew, I found a way around it. I iron my 2 inch hem but I don't sew it yet. At the fold I pin the strap in place and sew along the same line as the side hem so the stitching blends. Then I finish my top hems letting the fold go slightly over the strap so there is not a thick bunch of fabric I have to sew through (thick bunch meaning the side hem, strap, and top hem that is to many layers of fabric, I have cut out the middle layer this way) Do this for all 4 straps and you are done!

wrappants2

Your Pants are now finished! To put them on grab two connected ties and pull one side of the waist band across your back, tie a knot to securely in front keep them at your waist; pull the other two ties between your legs and wrap the ties around your back and tie the knot and you're stylin.

I love these for yoga class because I'm able to sit and study and move straight into an asana practice. I just take the bottom of the legs and circle them around and tie a little knot. they look like genie pants that way and not very cool but they get the job done. once I'm finished practicing just untie and I'm ready to run errands or what have you. I never want to take them off. tho going to the bathroom is a challenge after a while you master the technique.

As soon as I get a good picture of me in them I will post it up to see my style if these wrap pants.


.

1 comments:

Puritan Farms said...

Thank you, thank you. I've been looking for a pattern to make these yoga pants! I think I'll love the cotton vs. the clingy polyester ones. I'm going to have such fun using fabric you wouldn't think a yogi would wear.